The Economic Development (EcoDev) Programme at SKIP works with families living in poverty to offer financial opportunities to stabalise their income and improve living conditions. We are looking for volunteers who can commit to a minimum of a month. We are happy to facilitate student placements for course credit and have worked with a number of Universites in the UK and USA.
The department helps SKIP families create sustainable sources of income and provides them with opportunities to develop their artisanal and business skills to pursue their goals. Its current project portfolio includes:
- micro-credit programme - this issues small loans and business consulting to current or potential business owners
- construction programme - small loans to improve the living situations of families
- artisanal workshops, including jewelry-making, sewing, and weaving
- business education workshops, one-on-one consulting
- health-related loan programmes
Under supervision of the EcoDev Coordinator, you will be responsible for a specific project within the department. However, because of the modest size of our team, volunteers contribute to aspects of all the projects within EcoDev.
Additionally, volunteers will assist in the children's programme at SKIP once a week by volunteering a morning/afternoon to work at the school as we feel this helps give additional perspective on the community.
While we ultimately desire our EcoDev Volunteers to speak some level of Spanish, we currently offer a limited amount of spaces for those who do not speak Spanish. However, priority will be given to those who are able to stay longer and are committed to improving their language abilities.
- Independently research, organise and manage an EcoDev project that will improve the living conditions of families in El Porvenir. In some cases, the project will need to be continued from a past volunteer rather than independently researched and organised
- Participate in the microcredit loans programme through office hours and visit houses in the community of El Porvenir
- Manage a development portfolio of families/borrowers and be open to understanding their situation and providing solutions;
- Report to the EcoDev coordinator on a regular and consistent basis
The Benefits of Volunteering with us
In return for your invaluable participation in our volunteering programme, SKIP will provide:
- A thorough induction to the organisation, programmes, department and specific role
- Structured and relevant training from fully qualified and experienced staff members - bios for all our permanent teamdownload an application formhere
Feel free to email email@example.com with any questions